2011-04-14

News & Upcoming Events

Welcome to the WORDS IN ACTiON blog.  I just made it today and still need to add a few things (like a link back to the Facebook group).
 
For those who want to know, this whole thing started with me wanting to bring a poetry event to Acton.  I already attend a poetry slam in Burlington (sometimes Guelph & Toronto).  When I saw what The Roxy was doing with a coffee shop, open mics, and other arts related shows I knew it would be a perfect fit.  I got in touch with a local poet and put on the first show in October of 2010.  I thought it was well received by the few people who showed up but I didn't plan on taking it any further.  Until the new year when I heard people asking when the next poetry night was going to be.  I asked my good friend, Tomy Bewick, to feature and people were blown away.
 
So I decided to make it a more regular event.  Being part of the slam in Burlington I know how hectic it can be to plan a monthly event.  So I decided to make it a little easier on myself by making WORDS IN ACTiON an event we hold every other month.  Since then, I've created a logo, a facebook group (link to be posted soon), and finalizing features for July, September, & November.
 
For now it's a PWYC (Pay What You Can) event to help cover the costs of our features travel and hopefully show our appreciation.  Even though we do have feature poets, the main reason for this event is the open mic, where anyone can sign up to share some poetry, comedy, rant, or monologue.  Although the purpose of this event is free expression please keep in mind that this is a family friendly environment.
 
Spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment